You are here

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Zepmo
Zepmo's picture
HD36 built in east Texas

Well, Business has had us busy enough where we could not do anything but build our mill, and here it sits waiting for it's set up and processing work, we are very excited to have this piece of machinery to  enhance our business in many ways, so this is my first post and my salutations to everyone. I look forward to future correspondence  with all of you ! have a great night .

- Zep 

Bill
Bill's picture

Hi Zep congradulations on the mill and looking forward to following your progress.

r.garrison1
r.garrison1's picture

Congratulations! Hope you like it as much as we do!

Post Oakie
Post Oakie's picture

Welcome to the Forum!  You've got to be chomping at the bit to make sawdust.  Let us know when you slice up your first log!

mtnmike
mtnmike's picture

Welcome, Zep!  From the looks of your picture, you could be "Led Zep!"

Well, once the love-hate relationship with the building of your HD36 is over, you're gonna love crankin' out lumber!

Mike

pencil5757
pencil5757's picture

Where are you at in East Texas I'm near Jasper, Texas

Zepmo
Zepmo's picture

Sliced up the first 4 logs today... and sharpened my first blade as well! All went well. I was immediately able to see when the blade got doll with a few waves in the cut. Switched out the blade, tightened and adjusted... perfect boards again. The first 3 logs were 10-14" and the last was 29",,, I had a riot with it all... I look forward to tomorrow... I have 300 sqf of oak plank flooring to make 

Post Oakie
Post Oakie's picture

Looks like a great start with the sawmill.  I can't quite make out what you're holding in your picutre.  A zither of some sort?

mtnmike
mtnmike's picture

Yep, sure enough, I think that's the infamous "crossbunk zither", made famous by Led Zepmo and the East Texas Sawyers!

Hey Zep, you catch on fast... I'd  have to say that not enough tension and a dull blade are the two biggest reasons for my sub-standard board quality.  And usually because I'm just too cheap to change out the blade until I absolutely have to… One of these days, I'll learn. 

Zepmo
Zepmo's picture

Thanks guys! 

Mike, is that you standing in front of some giant sequoias?? Epic picture for sure.! I sure wish I lived out west with this mill , I miss Doug fir, SYP is cantankerous stuff.

mtnmike
mtnmike's picture

Yep, Zepmo, those are Sequoias; three grown together that we call "The Sisters", in a grove near Hume Lake, CA, where my folks built a little cabin in the '60's.

I don't see much Doug fir, but I do get the occasional white fir-- casualties from our drought.  Biggest boon for me has been our yellow pines, bug-killed in the millions.  The tree guys just drop off the logs to me, to get rid of them!  I can't mill fast enough...  

One thing I have noticed, referring back to Zep's wavy cuts: Because of Ponderosa's many knots, it seems like I have a couple problems-- first, that my blades seem to get dull faster than what I've read here is the norm, and second, that these knots contribute to a great degree to the incidence of wavy cuts.  Does anyone have input on this?

Another question I've been meaning to ask: does anybody else out there "wash"  their logs off, and prior to milling?  Is there anything wrong with this, if I want to get rid of some of the surface dirt? 

Grandpa
Grandpa's picture

I removed post . I found the answer myself .