You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Slinky Pickle
Slinky Pickle's picture
Some big leaf maple

As a kid, we had a large maple tree on the farm. This winter it succumbed to the heavy snow fall and a few large branches came down. This weekend I took my son with me a 3 generations loaded some onto my truck so I could mill them up. The tree still stands but it's time might be limited.

Here's what those "branches" looked like.

r.garrison1
r.garrison1's picture

Word of caution. When it was living, it had a lot of lateral stress; one side was holding up, the other side was hanging on the bottom side. When you mill it and as it dries, it will likely twist as the stress is relieved.

Thicker pieces will probably be better; uses like outdoor benches or things like that will probably be best.

Other users on this forum may have some advice for best yield.

Slinky Pickle
Slinky Pickle's picture

Those are very good points. I need to get it sealed as soon as possible and then it can sit until my mill is together.
Somewhere in there is a fireplace mantle and a bar top. Beyond that I think I'll cut slabs and see what they look like.

Post Oakie
Post Oakie's picture

Looks like a lot of heirloom furniture in those branches.  The top one on the truck looks like it will have a lot of interesting character.  Looking forward to photos of the lumber, and finished products!

wayne busse
wayne busse's picture

From my experience with sugar maples here in Indiana, that top log is rotten to the core and the center three inches of the other two is soft. I lose two or three sugars every year, and when I cut them they are hollow at the base and  the core is rotten up the log. Heard it was a fungus in the ground refered to as cancor.