You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
sawwood
sawwood's picture
Guid Roller Bearings

I am going to have the guid roller bolt driled for grease fittings. What do any of you think this is a good upgrade the guide system? I seem to have to rplace the bearning sooner then i should, so greasing them i think wil make them last longer.

Sawwood

bberry
bberry's picture

It should work good. Just buy the cheap plastic sealed bearings and remove all seals except the last one. Install a zerk and grease from the front. Be careful to not blow out the last seal. 1/8th drill down the length to the front of the first bearing face and then a side drill of 1/16th. No brainer, really!

Bill
Bill's picture

Stick with the sealed bearings no grease on your lumber I've only replace one in the last 17 years.

sawwood
sawwood's picture

Bill I don't think grease will get on the wood if you watch how much you grease them. I did replace both rollers bearings couple of years ago and the right side fixedone is making noise and feels rough. I know there are some mill that have grease fitting on there roller and I found some grease that is for harsh use and wherewater may be used also.

Sawwood

eddiemac
eddiemac's picture

When you replace bearings (and before you install them), pry the plastic side covers off.  Add some extra grease (not too much) in the bearing cavity and replace the covers.  This will make them last a long time.  On the other hand, drilled grease channels would be the ultimate upgrade  -   if you can remember to do the maintenance.

sawwood
sawwood's picture

Eddie we don't saw that much, so each time we use the mill we grease all the points and check it over. Adding two more will not be that big of a deal.

Sawood

bberry
bberry's picture

Many other mills have the grease fitting on the front of the bearing and no problem with anything getting on the lumber. I also don't like to listen to the dry bearing whining.