You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
oneoldcoot
oneoldcoot's picture
I am horrible.

When I see something like this all I can think of is "I wonder what that rootball would be worth? And I would love to open that baby up to see the grain." 

one or more people, tree, plant, outdoor and nature

r.garrison1
r.garrison1's picture

Pressure washer, with a fire hose as feed line. I would suggest a turbine engine at about 15000 RPM. Wear rainwear.

Post Oakie
Post Oakie's picture

Interesting to think about, but that root ball will fall back in place when the tree is cut.  Salvage is some of the most dangerous work there is.  I've had root balls like that stand back up with a 12' log still attached-- with amazing speed.  A while back, I read a tragic account of a root ball crushing a child.  Lots of stress that can be very hard to predict.  Be careful.

r.garrison1
r.garrison1's picture

Good point. Now that you mention it, I remember a redwood about 3' in diameter that blew down when I was a kid. The landowner was cutting it off, and when still had a bit on the trunk, it jumped up a bit (about 10'), throwing his chain saw about 50' away. Luckily, he wasn't hurt.

Aditional note: The saw was a bit banged up; bar was bent.

oneoldcoot
oneoldcoot's picture

Bent chainsaw bar and redwood? nothing that a forge, some sanding. and a couple of pins  wouldnt transform  into something cool.

r.garrison1
r.garrison1's picture

yes